What is a lactation consultant IBCLC?
A lactation consultant is a professionally trained breast-feeding specialist.
The 18-month training course is provided by the University of Utrecht, at the end of which you sit an internationally recognized examination.
Obtaining the diploma gives you the right to use the title "Lactation Consultant, IBCLC" (International Board of Certified Lactation Consultants).
A lactation consultant has to be re-certified every 5 years and re-examined every 10 years.
Lactation consultant can help if you have questions about:
- problems with latching on to the breast
- drinking problems at the breast
- too little/too much mothersmilk
- pain when feeding
- premature birth and breastfeeding
- breastfeeding twins
- breastfeeding after a Sectio Caesaria
- induced lactation
- breastfeedingaids such as a breastpump, nipple cream etc.
- combining breastfeeding and work
- how to stop with giving breastfeeding